New York City is home to more than 8.3 million people, and nearly 1 in every 106 of those individuals does not have a safe place to sleep. With winter coming up soon, it has never been more important to become aware of the resources around you to help give back and offer support.
1) Salvation Army: The Salvation Army has been around for over 156 years. You can schedule a free pick up (or drop off at any of their numerous locations all over Brooklyn or Manhattan). They will accept anything from clothes, furniture, or even cars! Their proceeds go towards supporting adult drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers. For more information read up here -> Salvation Army Donations
2) Picture the Homeless: Picture the Homeless is a grassroots organization started and run by homeless individuals. It focuses on advocating and organizing for affordable housing, and social justice issues. You can help by joining as a member or donating. Visit their website for more information. -> https://www.picturethehomeless.org/
3) Goodwill: Goodwill has been around since the early 1900s and has locations all over Brooklyn, Manhattan and Upstate New York and has donation bins set up around the tristate area. Similar to Salvation Army, Goodwill accepts any gently used clothing, home goods and appliances, and electronics that are in working condition.
Follow this link for more information: https://www.goodwillnynj.org/donate-goods
4) Church Donations: No matter where you live in the Tri-State area (or even upstate New
York), it’s always a good idea to call your local church and ask if they’re willing to take clothes and/or home goods donations and if so, where/who those donations would go to. Many times these churches even offer pick-up services or have drop-off boxes set up outside.
5) Partnership for the Homeless: Partner for the Homeless helps families acquire housing and resources to help them build more secure lives. For more details on how to get involved visit their website. -> https://partnershipforthehomeless.org/
6) Happy Donations: Happy Donations will accept any lightly worn men’s or women's clothing, jewelry, handbags, shoes, or any accessories, for Vietnam Veterans. All it takes from you is printing a prepaid shipping label from their website (https://happydonations.org/) and following their shipping instructions.
7) Bowery Mission: The Bowery Mission is a homeless shelter that offers food, shelter, and community resources. Feel free to drop off any gently used (new is greatly appreciated) casual or professional clothing. Winter clothing is especially appreciated as the winter season approaches (this means anything from scarves, gloves, hats, winter coats, etc.)
Follow this link for specific guidelines and hours -> https://www.bowery.org/donate/donate-goods/
They also welcome any volunteers so please look into volunteer opportunities as well!
By: Selina Delgado Schultz
Mental Health Counseling Intern